Have A Question?
Amazon Connect Routing Profiles and Queues
A routing profile determines what types of contacts an agent can receive and the routing priority.
- Each agent is assigned to one routing profile.
- A routing profile can have multiple agents assigned to it.
Amazon Connect uses routing profiles to allow you to manage your contact center at scale. To quickly change what a group of agents does, you only need to make an update in one place: the routing profile.
Default routing profile: Basic routing profile
Amazon Connect includes a default routing profile named Basic routing profile. Along with the default contact flows and default queue (named BasicQueue), it powers your contact center so you don’t need to do any customisation. This is what enables you to get started quickly.
Routing Profiles Link Queues and Agents
When you create a routing profile, you specify:
- The channels the agents will support.
- The queues of customers that the agents will handle. You can use a single queue to handle all incoming contacts, or you can set up multiple queues. Queues are linked to agents through a routing profile.
- Priority and delay of the queues.
There are two types of queues:
- Standard queues: This is where contacts wait before they are routed to and accepted by agents.
- Agent queues: These queues are created automatically when you add an agent to your contact center.Contacts are only routed to agent queues when explicitly sent there as part of a contact flow. For example, you might route contacts to a specific agent who’s responsible for certain customer issues, such as billing or premium support. Or you might use agent queues to route to an agent’s voice-mail.
Contacts waiting in agent queues are higher priority than contacts waiting in standard queues. Contacts in agent queues have the highest priority and zero delay:
- Highest priority: If there’s another contact in the basic queue, Amazon Connect chooses to give the agent the contact from the agent queue first.
- Zero delay: If the agent is available, the contact immediately gets routed to them.